I recently blogged about why it makes sense to run your own server. Although I have a machine running at me.chschmid.com already, I decided to do a serious hardware upgrade.
Not because the old AMD E-350 CPU can’t keep up anymore, but because I’d like to use the new machine as my desktop PC as well. So here’s what I ordered (some parts of it are actually not new, but carry over from my old setup)
- A nice package: Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Black Pearl
- Power: be quite! System Power 7 | 300W
- The base: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
- Some short term memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit
- Some long term memory: Samsung 250GB 2.5-inch 840 EVO SSD
- Some more long term memory: Western Digital Red 3TB
- The powerhorse: Intel Xeon E3-1245V3
For all I know this system will be hopelessly over-powered, yet power-efficient, so that it can run 24/7. The parts are probably going to arrive by the end of the week. I’ll keep you posted about the assembly and everything else that’s going to happen.
Pingback: The Making of me.chschmid.com, Part 3: Mechanical Assembly | Christian M. Schmid